You cannot compare the pleasure of getting proposed with a truly unique engagement ring with anything else in this world, because such an experience evokes the most intense emotions of poise and gorgeousness a woman could feel. If you want to make a break from the ordinary, this is the perfect occasion to see our one-of-a-kind engagement rings, which we promise, will put you in a “seventh heaven” mood.
Kobelli Diamond Education: A Complete Guide to the Radiant-Cut Diamond
Diamonds are the most fascinating and of course, most precious crystals on Earth worth every sigh of appreciation by their admirers. As you already know, diamonds enjoy the pleasure of adorning enticing pieces of jewelry in various shapes, also known in our terminology as ‘diamond cuts’.
When it comes to diamond shapes, the first thing that will probably come to your mind is the round-brilliant cut, cherished as the most popular and sought-after cut of the modern day. The truth is, the advanced jewelry craftsmanship is offering many other diamond-shape options for those who are eager to try something new and out of the ordinary. And that is how we have the radiant-cut diamond as part of latest tendencies, favored for its outstanding fire and brilliance in a square design.
EXPLORING THE RADIANT-CUT DIAMOND
Precious stones in radiant shape fall under the category of mixed diamond cuts. This special diamond-cut category represents a combination of the modified brilliant cut and the step cut, to which we are going to pay more attention in some of our future article adventures. Therefore, the group of mixed diamond cuts is a relatively new trend in jewelry and it includes diamond shapes out of the traditional round form. These shapes display higher levels of luster and brilliance while preserving the original weight and structure of the diamond.
Usually, mixed-cut diamonds are rectangular or square, just like the magnificent radiant cut that prides itself on showcasing slightly trimmed corners, which on the other hand, promote delicate and ultra-sophisticated jewelry adornments.
THE RADIANT-CUT PECULIARITIES
This type of diamond shape is best known for being the most attractive alternative to the princess-cut diamond. In other words, the radiant-cut diamond is an utterly delicious and sparkly choice, particularly when it comes to jewelry of promise, like engagement or wedding rings.
Going back to history, the radiant cut was officially created in the mid 1970s by the genius diamond cutter Henry Grossbard. If we say that his invention had practically transformed the diamond industry, we absolutely won’t be wrong. The major reason for the eye-catching sparkle of radiant –cut diamonds is the number of facets they have, generally between 50 and 70 facets. Hence, the reason why diamond rings in radiant cut have the so-wanted flair of supreme beauty and perfection, even those with a total diamond weight of less than one carat.
THE BENEFITS OF THE RADIANT-CUT DIAMOND
Displaying amazing degrees of intense fire and brilliance, the round-cut diamond offers a wide range of benefits to the wearer. We have selected the most significant ones that, undoubtedly, are a reason more to consider buying a radiant-cut jewelry piece.
1. Thanks to its intensified sparkle, the diamond carved in radiant cut tends to feature much better color properties than any other diamond with a simpler cut.
2. The radiant-cut diamond is properly proportioned, meaning that this cut maximizes the stone’s carat potential by visibly exposing the major part of the diamond instead of obscuring non-used weight beneath the gem’s surface.
3. The great number of facets possessed by the diamond in radiant cut allows concealing the stone’s flaws (blemishes, inclusions or color tints), thus promoting better overall clarity. That is why the radiant cut is also referred to as ‘the forgiving cut’ – an extremely rare property which cannot be found at other diamond shapes.
4. Thanks to its unique design with nicely trimmed corners, the risk of chipping or breaking radiant-cut jewelry is significantly reduced. Moreover, the truncated corners of the radiant-cut jewel promote an active lifestyle without having the tendency to catch on hair and clothes, which is of the utmost importance for women who are always on the move.
THE DRAWBACKS OF THE RADIANT-CUT DIAMOND
Although the radiant cut in general terms is an excellent cut that offers a lot of fantastic jewelry-wearing opportunities, there are still a couple of characteristics that might be considered negative points.
1. Being an exceptionally deep cut, the radiant cut makes the diamond appear smaller when compared to another shallower-cut gem like the emerald-cut diamond, for example.
2. The second and the last drawback of radiant-cut diamonds is that they are rare, so they are hard to be found on today’s jewelry market. In other words, the availability of radiant-cut diamonds is limited and this spectacular diamond shape can be found only in the collections of renowned fine-jewelry retailers that offer quality and elaborate radiant-cut jewelry.
EXPLAINING ITS ULTIMATE QUALITY
To achieve maximum levels of luster, fire and scintillation, high precision is the key factor in the creation of radiant-cut diamonds. When this cutting technique is performed with maximum precision and expertise, it allows the existence of heavy refraction and reflection within the diamond and it also eliminates most of the stone’s visible shadows and dark areas. For instance, a diamond that has been improperly cut is a diamond of lower value and less striking appearance, which is definitely a great damage to the jewelry piece as a whole for not having taken an advantage of the admirable radiant-cut virtues.
In general, well-elaborated radiant-cut diamonds of high quality feature a flat top or ‘table’ surface that extends over more than 60% of stone’s visible weight. Thus, the actual height and depth perspective of the diamond when being viewed from the side will be more than 60% of its width. Also, the sharp bottom end that is usually pointed towards the finger, does not have to be faceted or clipped. All of these characteristics are nothing more, nothing less, but a property of the pro-made radiant cut, which obviously, comes with an unmatched quality.
The modern jewelry practice is showing that many of the radiant-cut buyers prefer the square shape rather than the rectangular one, led by the misconception that the proper radiant cut has to feature equal length-to-width ratio. The truth is, radiant-cut diamonds in rectangular shape are impressively beautiful too, and what determines the final proportions of the radiant cut are the quality and shape of the uncut diamond.
Written by: Liljana Tomova
You must be logged in to post a comment.
click here to log in